The Harmful Effects of Smoke and Fire
During a fire, smoke inhalation is one of the most dangerous effects that incapacitates people. The materials that our furniture, clothing and other items are made of can produce dangerous residue. As a fire spreads inside a building, it will produce two life-threatening events - consume most of the breathable oxygen and create toxic gasses.
Not only will fire damage affect structures, but it is also quite lethal to people. Smoke contains tiny particles that are harmful in their own way. These include vapors which are inhaled or absorbed through the skin and that act as poison within the body. Minute particles of our burning property are so tiny that they penetrate our respiratory and digestive system. These minute particles are so small; they enter our lungs, as well as cause irritation to our eyes.
Toxic gasses are a part of the characteristics of smoke. These gasses are the most deadly substances anywhere, consisting of carbon monoxide, hydrogen, cyanide and phosgene which is formed when products like vinyl are burned. These gasses also absorb the air we are trying to breathe, either by consuming it or by displacing it with other elements.
Smoke inhalation prevention measures can be taken that includes having smoke detectors in every room of a home or office. Also, invest in carbon monoxide detectors which should be placed in areas that are at risk for carbon monoxide exposure. Fire damage is always a devastating experience for you and the family.
Feelings of confusion and stress are common. This is not the time to work with uncaring professionals. When SERVPRO arrives, we always treat people with great empathy and above all – respect! We will also treat your property and belongings with great care.
SERVPRO of Hollywood Hills/Los Feliz are experts in fire, water and mold remediation. We are locally owned and operated, so that when you call us, we arrive very quickly and are ready to work for you.